Preparing for a Spray Tanning Treatment
- Shower and exfoliate to prime skin just prior to your application. Also consider using SluffWIPES moments before a tanning application to ensure the best possible results. Skin should be completely dry before tanning.
- Exfoliating products that leave the skin excessively oily, such as salt scrubs, should be avoided.
- Make sure that all lotions, creams, deodorants, makeup or other toiletries are removed from the skin before a treatment. If these products are left on the skin, discoloration and uneven results can occur.
- Waxing or shaving should be done at least a few hours prior to tanning. This includes facial waxing. Replace shaving razor blades. Old, dull shaving blades can strip your tan and cause uneven fading.
- All jewelry should be removed before treatment. Tight fitting jewelry, such as watches or rings, should not be worn until after showering.
- Contact lenses should be removed prior to treatment.
- Attire for tanning — make certain to bring a dark-colored bathing suit (or your garment of preference). Spray tan solution washes out of most clothing very easily, but tends to stain light nylon and other light synthetic materials.
- Wear dark, loose clothing and shoes to your appointment so that you can wear the same home after your tan. Tight fitting clothing can hinder tanning results. Plan not to get wet, exercise or perspire for at least 4 hours. At that time the product can be showered off and normal activities can be resumed. You will see some color washing off the first time you shower. This is just the surface color that was applied to aid the technician, your skin will continue to tan for 24 hours as the tanning solution develops.
What to Avoid AFTER Your Custom Spray Tan Application
- Hair inhibiting lotions or creams
- Depilatory hair removers
- Body hair bleaching
- Retin-A, Renova, Tri-Luma and Skin bleaching products
- Acne or skin products containing benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, alpha hydroxy acid (AHA’s), beta hydroxy acids (BHA’s), malic or lactic acid
- Products containing alcohol or witch hazel
- Facial scrubs, masks and strips
- Loofahs, loofah gloves or exfoliating products
- Body moisturizers or shower gels that contain petroleum or mineral oil bases
- Soaking in salt water (ocean), chlorine (hot tubs and pools) or warm baths can rapidly exfoliate your tan. Do not rub your skin with a towel after bathing – pat dry only.
Tanning Color Development Times
- With sunless tanning, you can have a deep, dark natural looking tan with 4 hours of application. Your tan will last about 5-7 days (up to 10 for some people) if properly cared for.
- Follow the recommended guidelines for your skin type below. This will ensure that you receive the most natural results for your skin type:
- 4 hours: Showering in 2.5 - 4 hours will produce a light–medium, golden tan. This reveals a natural look recommended for fair skin types. Very fair skin clients should shower the product off in 2.5 hours (such as light skinned red heads).
- 6 hours: Showering in 6 hours will produce a medium rich, golden brown tan. A great color for olive/medium skin types.
- 8 hours: Showering in 8+ hours will reveal a dark rich caramel bronzed tan ideal for medium/olive to dark skin types.
Caring for Your Tan
- Evens out and maintains the color of any tan.
- Moisturizes and promotes soft, supple skin.
- Prolongs tanning results.
- Keeps your skin looking toned and healthy.
For Best Results
Wait at least 7-10 days before your next Spray Tan application. Make sure skin is exfoliated and free from old tan before reapplying. This will ensure smooth, even, sunless tanning results everytime.
- Though rare, a tan may develop differently during various hormonal cycles (ovulation, menstruation, or even heightened stress). Tans may develop lighter in color or may fade unevenly in rare cases
- When showering, you may notice color washing off your skin. Rest assured, this is just cosmetic bronzer, not your tan! After showering, the skin will continue to develop tan color for up to 24 hours!
- Spray Tan contains skin rejuvenating Amino Acids, Anti-Oxidants and Vitamins for a conditioning, long lasting tan.
- New micro emulsion moisturization technology gives skin a silky smooth feel after drying and showering!